Skip to main content

God’s Plan All Along...


TODAY, January 18th, we have been a family of 5 for 6 weeks....and TODAY is also our baby boy’s 12 week birthday!!!! I felt it was fitting to FINALLY share our story of Dax Ivan Griffin. 
On September 17th, we lost the baby boy we “thought” God had for us. Since that day we have wrestled a lot. We wrestled with why God would give and take away...and why God called us to grow our family through adoption only to leave us hurt and confused. We had decided to hold off on finishing our paperwork for our adoption agency until the beginning of the new year. We wanted to get through the Holidays and then start the process fresh at the first of the year. However, God had a different plan. With that being said here is our attempt to share “God’s plan all along”. 
Thursday, November 29th started like any other day. I woke up late...trying to get the kids dressed and out the door early because, they had school and I was working at the school that day too. We rolled in on two wheels like usual these days. I walked in like any other day. Little did I know... this was NOT any other day. This would be the day our lives changed forever. 
Around 10:00 (just 30 min. After school started) I got a call from a random number in Savannah, GA. I didn’t answer because well I’m at work and also I don’t know anyone in Savannah, GA who would be calling me. 10:01 I got ANOTHER call from a random number in Savannah, GA. I ignore again. 10:03 I got a phone call from, Lori, one of the ladies from Abiding Love...the agency we did our adoption homestudy with. (Back story, Abiding Love, is NOT a placement agency. They work closely with birthmothers to support them in their journey...and they also do home studies for the adoption process, which is how we got connected with them.) I didn’t answer at the time because I was at work. She left me a voicemail saying the director of the agency (all the random Savannah, GA numbers) was trying to get in touch with me and to call her as soon as I could. After listening I stopped for a second and debated on calling Carrie (the director) back. I went across the hall from my classroom and asked a friend...”what should i do?”. She looked at me and said “call her back! She could have a baby for you”! I immediately responded with “they don’t place babies...they probably just want to have permission to share our story with a family or something.” She again said “Brittany, go outside and call her back”. I reluctantly did....
Carrie answered the phone....at first it was just small chat. Then she said something I will never forget - “We don’t do this but God keeps telling me to call you.” She then began to tell me about this birth mother who had decided on the plan of adoption and was wanting to find a forever Home for her 6 week old baby boy who was born October 18th...She explained a little more about this birth mother and the situation. Then she asked if we had a profile book or anything that she could show this birth mom IF we were interested. I immediately said “YES”. I told her we had hired someone to make our profile book and that we had a PDF copy of it. No one had ever seen it but she was welcome to it. She asked me to email it to her and that she would be showing it to the birth mother in the next hour. As I hung up the phone I was in shock...I wasn’t really sure what was going on. I immediately realized I should probably call Tyler and let him know. Tyler and I prayed over the phone and then went back to our day. I was in a complete fog. Praying “God....if this was your plan all along...I pray you would make this happen....if not thank you for the HOPE that this is truly still the direction you want us to go to grow our family”. About an hour later I received a phone call that is forever etched in my mind! “CONGRATULATIONS! Can you come to St. Simmons, GA tomorrow at 2:30 and pick up your baby boy”. To say I broke down in tears would be an understatement. I don’t really know much of what happened after that BUT I do remember calling Tyler quickly after and saying “Hey, umm, i don’t have much time but YOU’RE GOING TO BE A DADDY AGAIN TOMORROW” He broke down in tears and said “Ya’ll better get to the football field NOW”. That night we were in shock, in secret because we wanted to MAKE SURE this was really happening before we shared with the world, and in complete panic mode trying to clean out the nursery that we had been shoving Christmas presents and such into for the time being. We made last minute runs to the store and shared some precious last moments as a family of 4. That night I didn’t get much sleep. The 4 of us woke up early the next morning and headed on our 5 hour trip to St. Simmons. We prayed the entire time as we knew we would be meeting our baby boy as well as his “first” mommy and daddy. We knew there was paperwork, conversations, and moments that we needed to be prayed up for. I think I cried a lot during our trip down too just in awe of this “plan all along” our Heavenly Father had for us. As we pulled in to the agency in St. Simmons all 4 of us stopped and prayed. We walked through the door...walked in a room...signed some paper work and then were asked “are you ready to meet the birth parents?”. We were. We knew this was going to be a moment that was going to change us forever....God had his Hand in this. We met this baby’s “first” parents and had a sweet few moments with them. Talking and expressing our respect and love for them. Then, the moment came I never thought would happen...this baby boy’s “first mother” left the room and went to get him. When she walked through the door I broke down. I laid eyes on the baby boy that was God’s plan all along. This was the child we have been praying for. This was the “DAX” we prayed for...maybe not the one we thought we were praying for but this was the one God knew all along would be our son. His “first mother” placed him in my arms. Tyler and the kids gathered around me and we became a family of 5. We spent the next hour in awe...with lots of tears. His “first parents” remained with us and we all shared some precious moments together...as a family. Before they left for their long trip home...Tyler prayed over all of us. He prayed that we would be good stewards of the Gift God had given us...the gift of this baby boy. That he would come to know God at an early age and that we would never forget this moment together...first family and forever family. It was a moment we have pictures of and will forever remember as part of our babies “birth story”.  We left St. Simmons, with our son, Dax Ivan Griffin Wynn. The ride home as a family of 5 was long but the best ever. The last 6 weeks we have been in complete awe of this plan God had in mind for us all along. This little boy who loves to be held and has a silly grin has brought us so much joy.  He is ours and we are his and God is good - All the time! 







Comments

  1. And this is why I love ya'll.... a good cry before 7:30 in the morning! Dax, you are twice blessed. Once because your "first family" realized that your "forever family" needed you and twice because your forever family is wonderful!! We all love you, little chubby, squishy, happy boy!! God is good...all the time and all the time....God is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tears are flowing here too - God is SO GOOD and HIS timing and plan is always best - even when we don't understand.... yet. Congrats. and God's blessings on you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Month of Breathing Differently...

On October 17th, it will be one month since we received a text that changed our world. A text that told us the little boy we were growing in our hearts would no longer be in our arms. It’s been a month of questions, A month of wrestling, a month of tears, a month of silence, a month of wondering why, a month of trying to put pieces back together, a month of heart break, a month of hell on earth, a month of learning to breathe a little differently, a month of surviving, a month of being on our knees because standing was too hard, a month of being stuck, and a month of leaning into a Heavenly Father that right now...takes away. As I sit here in a quiet living room with just my thoughts reflecting over the last 30 days it’s hard to keep typing. Not because I don’t know what To type, but because It still hurts. Don’t get me wrong, we have more good days than bad right now, but the bad still hurts more than I can put into this blog. We think daily of this little baby boy....is he’s ok, is h...

Even If you don’t, Our hope is YOU alone.

Monday (Sept 10th) started like any other day in our house...we woke up...late. Ate breakfast in the car and headed off to school. My parents were in town so when I got home from dropping the kids off my momma and I headed to the outlets to do some baby shopping. Walking into Carters again after years of being away was a dream. All the newborn/ 0-3 month clothes screamed at me. I could have taken every outfit home but settled on a handful and rushed off to meet Tyler at the field. We were heading to meet with our attorney and our birth mother to sign some “pre-birth” paperwork and to make sure everyone understood what each line meant and no questions were left unanswered. Everything was signed and we left with giant smiles on our face. Our little boy was due in two weeks and we were ready! The following days I had tried a couple times to get ahold of our birth mother. However, I got no answers. I didn’t think much of it because she admitted she is horrible at getting back with people. ...