Skip to main content

Three Weeks of Craziness...

This post is a long time coming...sorry for the delay. The past three weeks have been so crazy...but we are reminded this is our life, so we will roll with the craziness.
Three weeks ago....
August 29th Tyler and I had our first appointment with the Reproductive Specialist, Dr. Singleton. When we got to her office, we sat down and she went through a long list of questions for both of us. Then, we got down to business. Dr. Singleton went through all my previous test results from Dr. Huffman and agreed that Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome was probably the cause of me not ovulating. However, she wanted to do ONE more test (which Dr. Huffman did not do) to make sure I truly had PCOS. She said after this test...if it confirmed what she and Dr. Huffman believed to be true she would prescribe Metformin. Metformin is used to treat type two diabetes, however, they also use this drug to treat PCOS. Dr. Singleton describe the difficulties that come with Metformin. Those difficulties being low to no carb. diet, getting pretty sick the first few days of each cycle of the medicine (they move you up from one pill a day all the way to one pill three times a day). She said that this medicine takes a huge toll on the body but she truly believe this could treat my PCOS and hopefully bring me to ovulating. At that point sickness seemed a small price to pay in order to have a good shot of getting pregnant. Therefore, a two hour sugar test was in my future. The last thing she talked to Tyler and I about was my blocked left tube. She seemed concerned with that, however, stated that at times, when you first have your tubes checked it is very common that one or both tubes have a spasim and come across as blocked. She wanted to go in and do some minor surgery to make sure that my left tube was completely blocked and not just a mistake. Dr. Singleton explained that if my left tube was in fact truly blocked we would have no other choice than to do IVF which cost about as much as a car (looking at $25,000+). She then explained that if my left tube was not blocked we could do IUI which cost about $12,000 less than IVF. At this point, I broke down. I didn't want to have to go through surgery and I was so nervous that I truly would have to go through IVF...however, I quickly got over that and realized we will do what we have to do and God will provide the money for us to have a family. Lastly, Dr. Singleton did a vaginal ultra sound to check to make sure I had ovaries that were functioning and able to produce a child. We found out that day that I CAN ovulate and I have amazing ovaries. :-) This seems kinda stupid to be so excited about but we truly were worried that I could not ovulate at all and that is why we were not getting pregnant. Thank you Lord for answer the first of many request the next few weeks!
Two Weeks ago...
I went in to Georgia Reproductive Specialist and had several test done. One being the sugar test to make sure I had PCOS, another being a genetic test to make sure I had good genes to carry a child. These results would take about ten days to come back. The next thing to do was have surgery to check both of my tubes. This of course had to happen day 6 through 9 of my cycle. To me...this would take weeks because I just knew I was going to have to take Provera and then wait a week to actually start my period. However, four days after I was actually suppose to start (without help from provera) I did actually start my period...ON MY OWN. I was shocked and would be lying if I didn't say Tyler and I had a little celebration. This was the first time in over a year that I started my period on my own. Thank you Lord for answering the second of many request the next few weeks! Oh and we did find out a few days later that I do TRULY have PCOS and that I would be starting Metformin after my surgery to check my tubes.
This Week....
Monday I had surgery for them to look at my tubes and figure out if they are open or blocked one or both. I won't lie...it was painful...and still is. I remember lying there praying over and over that neither of my tubes are block. This would in fact allow Tyler and I a chance to possibly have a baby the ol' natural way (if this Metformin works) or to do IUI which is less invasive and less expensive. After surgery was done we got the results that NEITHER of my tubes are blocked. I immediately started crying. Such an answer to prayer and such a relief.
When Tyler and I got in the car he leaned over to me, looked me right in the eyes and said with the biggest smile on his face: "I can't wait to have a baby with you!! Thank you for going through all this so we can have a baby!" I won't lie...my heart melted. For the first time Tyler thanked me for everything I've been going through in order to make having a family possible (on my end, cause obviously I'm the broken one). Not that Tyler had to thank me...at all...but it's the fact that he was so sincere and that smile on his face is etched in my mind for the rest of my life. I'm so lucky to have the husband that I have. For him to take soo many days off work to be there for me at every doctor appointment...to go through blood work and other test to make sure he was ok...and for encouraging me when I thought for a split second I couldn't do all this. When I wanted to take the easy way out and give up...Tyler was there telling me to keep on and that God would answer our prayers in HIS timing. I feel so blessed that the last three weeks have been full of a lot of hard test and hard experiences but that God has proven himself to us daily. Almost like He's showing us to NEVER give up, NEVER lose hope, and to ALWAYS preserver. We are truly overwhelmed by the Lord's blessings and encouragement for us. Through all these trials right now, we have truly gotten closer to our Savior and to each other. I only pray we never forget what is going on in our crazy life right now. I pray we never forget these precious times we are sharing together, and that the Lord truly gets the honor and glory for all we are going through.
What now....
I'm recovering from surgery and started Metformin yesterday...diet has changed and I'm trying to figure out what the heck I can actually eat. The first day did make me sick, but not near as sick as I was prepared for. The days to come will be the true test of what toll this medicine is truly going to take.  We are now in the process of setting a follow up appointment with Dr. Singleton to get the low down on IUI, which is our only option, unless the Lord allows Metformin to be the piece missing from the puzzle. IUI is still very expensive and we are truly praying the Lord provides. However, Dr. Singleton, did state that in our situation Metformin will probably not be that piece of the puzzle for us to get pregnant like it does for most couples, but that IUI would probably be the only option for us. With that being said, we know we have an AMAZING God...a God who can do miracles if we just believe. Whether that miracle is IUI or Metformin there is a miracle waiting for Tyler and I, in HIS timing. May we be constantly reminded that He has a plan and a purpose for us. A plan to give us a hope and a future. Our future is going to be so bright no matter what lies a head for us, because we are a Child of the Most High, who takes us through seasons in life to teach us and use us. Tyler and I's prayer is that that is truly what happens and that this season will bring honor and glory to Him and Him alone. May this be the season for a wonderful story to tell our sweet baby one day.

Thank you for your prayers....

Pressing on...

Brittany and Tyler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Month of Breathing Differently...

On October 17th, it will be one month since we received a text that changed our world. A text that told us the little boy we were growing in our hearts would no longer be in our arms. It’s been a month of questions, A month of wrestling, a month of tears, a month of silence, a month of wondering why, a month of trying to put pieces back together, a month of heart break, a month of hell on earth, a month of learning to breathe a little differently, a month of surviving, a month of being on our knees because standing was too hard, a month of being stuck, and a month of leaning into a Heavenly Father that right now...takes away. As I sit here in a quiet living room with just my thoughts reflecting over the last 30 days it’s hard to keep typing. Not because I don’t know what To type, but because It still hurts. Don’t get me wrong, we have more good days than bad right now, but the bad still hurts more than I can put into this blog. We think daily of this little baby boy....is he’s ok, is h...

Even If you don’t, Our hope is YOU alone.

Monday (Sept 10th) started like any other day in our house...we woke up...late. Ate breakfast in the car and headed off to school. My parents were in town so when I got home from dropping the kids off my momma and I headed to the outlets to do some baby shopping. Walking into Carters again after years of being away was a dream. All the newborn/ 0-3 month clothes screamed at me. I could have taken every outfit home but settled on a handful and rushed off to meet Tyler at the field. We were heading to meet with our attorney and our birth mother to sign some “pre-birth” paperwork and to make sure everyone understood what each line meant and no questions were left unanswered. Everything was signed and we left with giant smiles on our face. Our little boy was due in two weeks and we were ready! The following days I had tried a couple times to get ahold of our birth mother. However, I got no answers. I didn’t think much of it because she admitted she is horrible at getting back with people. ...

God’s Plan All Along...

TODAY, January 18th, we have been a family of 5 for 6 weeks....and TODAY is also our baby boy’s 12 week birthday!!!! I felt it was fitting to FINALLY share our story of Dax Ivan Griffin.  On September 17th, we lost the baby boy we “thought” God had for us. Since that day we have wrestled a lot. We wrestled with why God would give and take away...and why God called us to grow our family through adoption only to leave us hurt and confused. We had decided to hold off on finishing our paperwork for our adoption agency until the beginning of the new year. We wanted to get through the Holidays and then start the process fresh at the first of the year. However, God had a different plan. With that being said here is our attempt to share “God’s plan all along”.  Thursday, November 29th started like any other day. I woke up late...trying to get the kids dressed and out the door early because, they had school and I was working at the school that day too. We rolled in on two wheels...